History, Part 14 - Scouting Program
Church Sponsors Scouting Program
Boy Scout Troop No. 1 was organized and chartered in 1916 with the First Presbyterian Church serving as a sponsor. Rev. W. H. Denham, pastor of the local church, served as scout master in 1920. In 1921 he became the first employed Boy Scout Executive, serving only part time. The local Rotary Club became sponsor the same year.
Cub Pack No. 10 was organized and chartered on May 11, 1948, with the Presbyterian Church as sponsor. Dr. E. B. Strickler, cub master; Mr. J. A. Payne, assistant, and Mrs. Jack Shields as den mother. This pack is continuing under competent leadership and is one of the most active in Chickasha.