History, Part 6 - The Board of Deacons
Finances in the First Presbyterian Church were handled by the Board of Trustees from its founding until the pastorate of Rev. Harry Sweetzer. He was instrumental in the change which transferred the financial affairs of the church to the Board of Deacons.
Records do not show the cost of the first church. Until it was build, worship services were held in the Campbell Building. In 1920, the original church was moved and works on the present structure begun. The basement was finished in November, 1922, and worship held there until July 1, 1925, when the church was completed.
Although estimates called for an expenditure of $35,000 in building the new church, it was necessary to raise an added $15,000 to complete it. The original loan for $8000 had been reduced by only $400 in the years prior to 1945. By August 29, 1948, this loan had been completely paid.
The church had three grant loans in two mortgages. These were for $250, $2,847.48, and $600. The first was retired on Jan. 31, 1949, and the $600 loan paid in full on November 16, 1949. Then, on April 10, 1950, the loan for $2,847,48 was paid off and the church was out of debt for the first time in its history.