History, Part 7 - Ladies Social Circle
"It is an interesting fact that the Social Society of the Presbyterian church was the first society organized in this city. There was no other church society, no secret organized, and the first meeting was held at the home of Mrs. D. Johnston, and the first ice cream social ever given in Chickasha was given by the society in a room of the new Grand Avenue hotel. Mrs. D. Johnston was the first President and Miss Mattie Brown the first Secretary, and this new society in a new town raised more than two hundred dollars, and furnished the new church, which was built by a Missionary society. Five of the charter members are still living in Chickasha, and are Mrs. Trimble, Mrs. J. A. Rose, Misses Brown and Mrs. D. Johnston."
So an early newspaper account recorded the place of the Ladies' Social Circle in our church and community.
The Circle actually was formed only a short time after the founding o the church itself in 1892. It remained an active group, with membership intact, until September, 1948. Many women of other faiths were active in the organization since ours was the only church.
Among the numerous projects of the circle was support of the organ fund. A legacy from a member of the circle for $1000 was the initial impetus resulting in the purchase of the organ in 1935.
Other projects include: building and furnishing the kitchenette, furnishing Sunday School Rooms, paying on the church debt, and supplying funds to build some of the sidewalks outside the church.